Friday, March 26, 2010

My Very First Post

My very first post. How unoriginal. But it's the truth.

I'm a mom, trying to make time pass on by as I struggle with getting my novel published. I'm also struggling with writer's block. So, as a lover of storytelling, I have resorted to watching movies. Tons of movies. I watch them in the middle of the night. I watch them when my children are at school. Just in the past week I have watched over five movies. Three of them in the past 24 hours.

The other day I watched Julie and Julia and I was inspired. After all, Julie was a struggling writer herself and was sort of stuck in her life. She needed a challenge and that came in the form of blogging about Julia Childs and her recipes. She challenged herself to cook every recipe from a Julia Childs cookbook within one year and blog about her adventures and misadventures.

At the same time, the movie portrays an important part of Julia Childs' life. She too was a housewife looking for a challenge. Looking for a passion. She found it in cooking and collaborating on a French Cookbook for American cooks. It took her years to get her book published. I cried when her copy arrived. I want to feel that thrill one day.

So, after watching the movie, I started to think about Blogging. It is, after all, writing. Then I began to think what should I blog about.

I read blogs. I'm entertained by many. It's amazing how people find a simple subject to blog about and turn it into something interesting, witty, colorful, and even heart touching. From bakery cakes gone bad to a housewife living on a ranch with a passion for her family, cooking, and photography.

I've read bad blogs. Blogs that are just mindless, numbing nothingness that try to sound grown up and come across as the same crap I put in my Hello Kitty Diary 30 years ago. Blogs that are really nothing but tooting their own own and holding give away contests, living some sort of Oprah fantasy.

I want to be a good blog. I want to write about something I love. Something most people can relate to. It took a couple of days and then I realized it. Since it was a movie that inspired me to blog, then I should really blog about movies.

I brainstormed how I would do it. Would I critique and review the movies? Come up with my own rating system? Analyze them? Break them down and put them back together again?
Maybe I should do a challenge like review one movie a day for a year? Three years? Five years?

The challenge is out. I have two kids. Thanks to them there are days where I can barely keep my eyes open to make it to Jeopardy, let alone watch the average 90 minute movie. A movie a day would just set me up for failure.

So, I decided to just write off the top of my head. Maybe I will break a movie down, rip it apart, or gush like a girl watching Twilight. Maybe I'll just...ramble on about it. Play it by ear.

The movies will be movies that I have never seen before, movies that I love and can watch over and over, and movies that I have not seen in years and it is time to watch it again with older, wiser eyes. Most of the movies will have been watched on cable. I love that On Demand button on my remote. I love being able to pick a movie in the middle of the night and curl up on the couch with no kids and no husband to whisk me back to reality with questions such as "Can I have a snack?" or "Did the dog pee over here?" And these questions always come just as the plot is about to wrap itself out. It's like my kids and husband time it. They wait for just the right moment to distract me. Usually it's about 30 seconds before the movie is about to end.

So, this is it. My Very First Post. It's going to be a learning experience, this whole new way of writing. Blogging. I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment