Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Bittersweet Ending


I have an emotional attachment to Shrek. So, of course, we had to see the newest sequel, even if it was in 3D, which is getting overplayed. Anyway, yesterday we saw Shrek Forever After....or Shrek The Final Chapter...not sure which one is the true title as I have seen it advertised under both.

Is it the Final Chapter? Or will it be Forever After, meaning we will forever be bombarded with Shrek sequels. I mean, let's face it: Mike Meyers and Eddie Murphy and Antonio Banderas aren't doing much of anything else these days. Are they really willing to give up the Shrek/Donkey/Puss in Boots franchise?


My emotional attachment with Shrek has began with my daughter. Shrek is the first real movie that she became attached to. The first movie that she recognized the characters and fell in love with them. The first movie that she became obsessed with and had to watch it every single day for about a good six months or so.


She was barely two years old. I'll never forget the first time she asked to watch Shrek. She pointed to the tv. I can still hear her tiny, cute, impossibly adorable little baby voice as she asked "Fruck?"


And I became immediately discombobulated. I asked her to repeat herself and she did as she innocently pointed to the tv.


"Fruck?"


I went into a new mom state of panic. Was I going to be one of those trashy moms whose kid curses up a storm in Walmart?? What have I done? I really did not think she was listening when I stubbed my toe or when I dropped a glass or anytime that curse slipped through my truck driver mouth.


"Fruck?"


I grabbed the toddler by the shoulders and begged her to tell me what she was trying to tell me. She could not be cursing. She could not be dropping the F-bomb already. She was barely two!!


Then, she gave me a clue. A second word.


"Doan-keeeee"


Ahh! Donkey!! Shrek! I laughed and knew this was one of those little baby and mommy moments that would be embedded in my memory forever.


Of course I put on the Shrek movie and patiently tried to teach her the whole "SHR" sound so she would say his name properly. She was a smart cookie. She still is. She caught on quickly. And so, my relationship with Shrek and his gang began.


For my daughter's second birthday, we took her to see Shrek 2. I even decorated her cupcakes with little Shrek figures. When she was in Pre-K, Shrek 3 came out. I made 25 Shrek cupcakes (minus his ears because that was where my patience wore out) for 23 very loud pre-schoolers for her fifth birthday.


We were way to ecstatic over the whole Shrek Christmas Special (Shrek the Halls) and continue to look forward to it ever year. My son became trapped into our Shrek obsession. At one time he owned a Shrek stuffie that was bigger than him.


Last year, we took the kids to their first Broadway play. I wanted to see The Little Mermaid before it closed down. My kids and husband outvoted me. We went to see Shrek. A big green ogre out trumped a pretty red headed fish.




But, it was the perfect experience for my kids' first Broadway experience. Their eyes were glued to the stage the whole time. As a HUGE Broadway fan myself, I was enjoying every moment of watching my kids enjoy their experience of Broadway.


So, of course we had to see Shrek 4. It was not as good as the first two. But better than Shrek 3. ( I can't even remember Shrek 3. Was the plot that bad?) And since they claim this is the last Shrek movie, the ending was sad. Of course they all live Happy Ever After...but to know that this is the end for Shrek, Fiona, Donkey, and Puss...it's just sad.


Watch the credits. They take you on a little journey from the very beginning of the Shrek epic. As the end credits roll, they show images from when we were first introduced to this crazy, lovable, green monster who would forever go down in movie history as one of America's favorite animated characters that is NOT Disney.


And I looked over at my eight year old, her 3D glasses too big for her head as she stared at the screen. And I wondered what happened to the little toddler? When was Fruck replaced with The Black Eyed Peas?


At least I still have that memory. I can still hear that tiny little voice. And I smile.


"Fruck"

No comments:

Post a Comment