Thursday, March 17, 2011

Showtimes' Shameless

As if I don't watch enough Premium Cable shows (like Dexter, Weeds, True Blood, Big Love, Spartacus, etc. etc.) I decided to check out Shameless when it first premiered back in January. Mainly for two reasons: Emmy Rossum and William H. Macy.

I went in, totally clueless and not knowing what to expect. I had no idea this show already exist across the pond and that Showtime had re-made it. After the first episode, I was hooked.


Shameless is...well, the title says it all. You just never know what is going to happen. What is going to shock you. The writers really do have no shame and yet it works. What should be sad, is actually funny. And sadly, I knew people like the Gallaghers back in my day. I've been in that house. Over sized family with the parents not really around and the kids doing whatever it took to get through the day. Again...sounds sad, but the show is really good at making it funny...and shocking...and you find yourself rooting for the bunch of trashy people and wishing you were part of the family.

I always liked William H. Macy. I always thought he was a good actor. His role as the EXTREME alcoholic, dead-beat, conniving father-Frank Gallagher, puts William H. Macy in a whole new category. I predict Emmy nominations and A Golden Globe for him next year!!! (Hey, I called John Lithgow with his Portrayal of Trinity in Dexter!! I'm calling William H. Macy!)

He looks dirty...almost homeless. He's a horrible father. He's always spewing "words of wisdom" about what is wrong with the world. And Frank is most possibly one of my favorite television characters ever. And it's all because William H. Macy makes such an unlikable character likable.

And then there's Emmy Rossum. She first caught my eye in Phantom of the Opera. I think she's so beautiful and talented. As Fiona, the eldest child in the Gallagher clan who is trying her best to keep everything together. She tones down the prettiness, but even with old, baggy clothes and unkempt hair, she's still so pretty.


Also, the rest of the Gallagher family: Lip, Ian, and Deb. These kids are great. Great complex characters and great acting.




Of course you got the wacky neighbors who get the good one liners:


And, maybe...just maybe Joan Cusack is the best of the best. She plays Sheila, the perfect housewife germophob/pervert who can't leave her house....ever. She's all kinds of crazy and Joan Cusack is a genius. Right now, she's listed as a Guest Star, but I really hope Sheila is here to stay. I live for Sheila scenes. I also predict nominations for her.


If you haven't seen it, check it out. Shameless is the best show about the most dysfunctional family on T.V. yet. It makes me feel like I'm 19 again, hanging with my friends.

(and yes...there's a reason why I decided to talk about Shameless on St. Patrick's Day. It is not a coincidence.)

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment