Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Movie Junkie Collects

As a Movie Junkie, I never really quite outgrew my love for movie related items. In other words...toys. I'm a geek like that. If it was up to me, my house would be one big Toys R Us/Knick Knack cluttered mess.
Years ago, before kids, I was very into collecting. My main collections were Barbie Dolls and Pigs. Funny how they don't really go and are complete opposites. One is tall and skinny, the other short and fat. But they went for me.
I also had a decent Star Wars collection. Mostly Han Solo 12 inch dolls...ahem...excuse me..."figures". (Let's be honest, boys...if it's over 5-7 inches tall, it is no longer an action figure. It's a doll. And there's nothing wrong with that!) I also have an amazing Admiral Ackbar ("It's a Trap!) and other characters, but Han Solo dominates the collection.
My pigs are still on display, up in my office. But the collection has died out once my kids came along. My Barbies are also packed away in boxes. I believe I bought my last Barbie 10 years ago on our Honeymoon in Disney World.
My Han Solos are also packed away. There are just so many of them. But I do have a bust of him in my living room, along with a small model of the Millennium Falcon.
He sits along with a Darth Vader Snow Globe.
Can you see the tiny figures inside Vader's eyes?
And a Boba Fett figure.
I have other collections that only come out certain times of the year. My Macy's Holiday Plushies grace the top of my living room book cases during Christmas time. My den gets decorated in in Disney only for Christmas. During the month of October Hogwarts' House Banner, a Golden Snitch, and a Dementor hangs around my living room.
The rest of the year, on the same set of shelves as my Han Solo bust are books and photo albums and pictures frames of the kids and loved ones. Look around and you'll find Dexter and Trinity snuggled in there
And E.T. finally looks down from the top.
I. Want. More. Every time I get one of those nerd catalogues, the geek in me squeals and I make a mental list. I want to clear the books and dvd's. Find new homes for all the pictures. I want to make that entire wall nothing but movie and television memorabilia.
I want the DeLoreon and the General Lee. I want the bust of Eric Northman. I want the Iron Throne. I want Gizmo. I want Snape's Wand. And Harry's, Ron's, Hermione's, Dumbledores', Bellatrix', Neville's, Sirius, Voldemort's, Lupin's...oh just give me one of each!!
If it has something to do with Gone with The Wind, I want it. Spartacus (the Starz show, not the movie) I want it. Indiana Jones, I must have it. The Lost Boys. Oh Yeah! My taste is all over the place.
And then...today...I saw this:
MUST. HAVE. IT!!!!!!!
An action figure (and yes, this is NOT a doll) of Ajax from The Warriors. Really? No one told me they made this!!! Why is this not in any of the nerd catalogues?!?!?
It's James Remar!! In action figure form!! OMG!! This discovery almost made me squeal with delight and run upstairs to wake my husband and tell him!!!
In case you haven't noticed, I love James Remar. Like LOVE this man! Loved him since I was about 11 years old when I first saw him in The Warriors. And I still love him today when he shows up as Harry Morgan on Dexter.
And I love The Warriors. It's definitely one of my favorite movies of all times. We have the poster hanging in our basement. And I have a t-shirt that I wear with pride that has a faceless Cyrus, arms extended in a Messiah fashion and under it, it says "Can You Dig It?"
I do believe this is one of my most quotable movies. I tend to respond to things by quoting The Warriors. Doesn't everyone?
If I buy something and my kids asks me "Is this ours?" I will and have been know to respond by saying "This is all our turf!" and with the same drama as Cyrus. There have been instances where the phrase "Come out to play-yay" was needed. And who doesn't help their kid do math homework without saying "Can you count, Suckers?" No? Just me?
And of course, when baseball season gets on my nerves and my husband is watching a game that went into extra innings I will yell at whatever player is up at bat and say Ajax's most famous line:
"I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a Popsicle".
Best. Line. Ever!!!!
So, Mr. Movie Junkie...if you should read this...know that it is basically a wish list. Keep it in mind for Christmas, Anniversary, and Birthday. Can you dig it?

1 comment:

  1. Movie Junkie here...I apologize for any posts that come up all smushed together like Ronnie and Sam on a good drunken club night. I don't know why this is happening. When I write, I do break it down with breaks and spaces between paragraphs. But when I publish it...it's just one big mess. Thanks for bearing with me.

    ReplyDelete