Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Harrison Ford

Today is Harrison Ford's 68th birthday. That's right...Han Solo...Indiana Jones...turns 68.

I love Harrison Ford. I mean, I looooooove this man. I've loved him since I first saw Star Wars. Everyone else was all about Luke, but I knew that Han was THE MAN. Forget that sissyboy, Jedi Knight wannabe. It was Han that saved the day at the end of the movie. He saved Luke's ass with his badass ship, the Millennium Falcon. Only THEN was Luke able to fire into that little port hole thingy which was the destruction of the Death Star.

All my little friends were Team Luke. I always was and always will be Team Han.

Yeah, Han Solo was the man. Harrison Ford is the man, still to this day.

He went on to give us one of the greatest action heroes of all times: Indiana Jones. He was tough. He was smart. He knew how to use a whip. Looked great in a hat. And had his flaws too (suffered from sever ophidiophobia). Look it up.

Harrison gave us other great roles too. He played in Blade Runner, Air Force One, Regarding Henry, The Fugitive, Witness, Working Girl, and so on and so on and so on. He's done action. Comedy. Romance. Carpentry. He's done it all.

One of my favorite roles of Harrison's? Allie Fox in The Mosquito Coast. This is a movie that got limited release, back when I was in high school. Because of the combination of Harrison Ford and River Phoenix, I insisted on seeing it. None of my friends wanted to travel by subway into an unknown neighborhood to see it. It was the only place around that was playing it.

My mother was the only one who saw my dedication to my childhood crush. She and I went by subway to an old school theater that was falling apart. I was a little freaked. I was young and naive. The neighborhood wasn't the greatest. The theater was dingy and dirty. And it was my first subway ride in years due to a horrible childhood experience on a subway car that led me to suffer from siderodromophobia. (Look it up).

But once the movie started, I was taken away. This was a different kind of role for Harrison Ford. A step away from the cocky, action seeking, leading man with the witty one liners. A huge step away.

In Mosquito Coast he plays a radical and unstable father who whisks his family away to the jungles of South America to establish a Utopian society and putting them all at risk. There's something very haunting about Harrison Ford's portrayal. Something that was unforgettable.

So, here's to the sexiest man that is thirty years my senior and still going strong. He is making an Indiana Jones 5, so he shows no signs of slowing down.

The man is almost 70....and he's still got that devil may care smirk that can melt a girl's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment