Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Worst Movie? Really?


Last night I watched what was considered on of the worst movies of 2009. All About Steve, starring Sandra Bullock and...those two guys from The Hangover. Their names escape me at the moment. We're in the middle of a heat wave and our pool is broken....my brain is seriously melting as I type this.

Anyway, last year, hundreds of critics everywhere declared that All About Steve was one of the worst movies of the year. Perhaps even THE worst movie of the year.

So, I watched it. And I giggled. I chuckled. I laughed out loud. It wasn't a masterpiece...but the worst? Really? Come on!!

I tried to figure out why it was rated so harshly. It was actually enjoyable. It was light, mindless, goofy, silly, cartoonish, and stupid in a very Jim Carreyish kind of way.

See...I'm wondering, what if the roles were reversed? Sandra Bullock is playing a goofy, off the wall, overly obsessed, walking warehouse of useless knowledge who believes she's in love and he loves her and will go to the ends of the earth to follow him. Meanwhile, she's really turning into a lovable stalker who's heart is being played with by the plottings of the leading man's foe.

Now, let's take Sandra Bullock out and let's make it a goofy man. Jim Carrey is a perfect example. Let's make the object of his desire a beautiful woman. He's crazy, goofy, quirky and he'll go to the ends of the earth to reach who he believes is his soulmate. OH! WAIT!!
That's been done before! It's called Dumb and Dumber! It was a HUGE HIT!!

The only difference between the two movies is that Jim was played out to be goofy and stupid. Sandra's character is goofy and smart.

And this movie bombed. I think it's because it's a sexist community out there. I guess girls can't be smart? Or goofy? Or both? I don't know. I thought Sandra pulled it off quite well.

Maybe...perhaps the movie would have been better received if it was released when both Sandra Bullock and those guys from The Hangover (I really need to google them) didn't have other big movies out in the same year.

Sandra blew everyone away with The Blind Side. The Proposal was her big comedy movie. And The Hangover?? Well...loved by all.

Those movies overshadowed All About Steve. All About Steve didn't even stand a chance.

Rent it. Sit back with an ice pop and the A.C. or fan blasting. Empty your mind, because this movie really does not require an ounce of thought. And just enjoy it for what it is. Who says every movie has to be a perfect, plot hole free production. It's a movie!! A figment of the imagination. A place where you can escape and where question could be left unasked. Don't be so critical. I've seen much, much, much worse.

Bradley Cooper!!! That's his name!! That's the love interest guy...well, the actor that plays him. Still unclear on the second guy. It'll come to me....one day when my brain stops melting.

No comments:

Post a Comment