Monday, July 5, 2010

In the Midst of Twilight Mania...

With all the hype of the new Twilight movie, Eclipse, there is another vampire movie I want to recommend. A fantastic vampire movie. It's a little Swedish film called Let the Right One In.


Filmed mostly on dark nights, in stark rooms, and in snow this movie chilled me to the bone. It's not really scary, but it's just eerie. A young, lonely, bullied boy befriends a little girl who is a vampire. And she too, thirsts for friendship. But she also thirsts for blood.


I saw this movie about a year ago and thought it was brilliant. Today, as I did my daily browse on IMDB, I saw there is a movie coming out called Let Me In. It is an American Remake. I watched the trailer and it seems like it is staying very true to the original Swedish film...but I don't know if we can pull off that loneliness, that coldness that the original movie managed to do so well.


If you are a vampire movie fan, rent Let the Right One In. Rent it and see it before the American version comes out. I don't know why they needed to remake it. Not when the original was so good. And if it's because people don't want to read subtitles, then they are just being lazy. Sometimes, movies with subtitles are part of the art. Hearing the original language being spoken is part of the story. The actors are part of the story making. It would be as if another country went and remade an American Classic like Jaws. Can you imagine anyone else playing Brody, Quint, and Hooper?


I usually don't mind remakes too much. Not if they are done right. But I think we are starting to get a little crazy with all the remakes. And if a movie is done so perfectly in another country, in another language, we need to respect that. We need to let it be and see the movie in it's original form.


And that's my ramble for today. I'll get off my soapbox now. Don't forget to consider adding Let the Right One on your movies to rent list. Especially if you're a vampire fan and are looking for a good vampire movie to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment