Monday, January 3, 2011

A Movie Junkie Christmas

With the Holidays behind us, the trees (that's right...I got more than one tree) getting dusty and begging to be taken down, one might wonder....what does Mr. Movie Junkie get his Movie Junkie wife for Christmas?

I have to say, I am not the typical wife. I'm a bit odd to shop for. I get asthmatic with perfumes. I sell Avon, so don't buy me cosmetics. I am not a clothes horse and am quite happy and fashionable in my Mets over sized sweat pants and my "CAN YOU DIG IT?" t-shirt. (10 points if you can name the movie that quote is from.) I don't do jewelry outside of my wedding band and engagement ring. Good chocolates would be fine, but Mr. Movie Junkie wouldn't know a Godiva dark chocolate Grand Marnier Truffle from a Watchamacallit Bar. So, what did he get me? Did he do good? Are they movie themed?

Yes. He did good. Yes. They are somewhat movie themed. Sort of. Kind of.

You see, some of you know our story. We met in a movie theater. He was an usher. I was the candy girl. It was love at first sight, despite what his girlfriend at the time says. I found out the manager was stealing from my shifts and blaming me, quit and did not see him again for seven years, when he walked into my Toy Store. We dated, married, and the rest is history. We've been together happily ever after...except for when he snores...and when one of our three dogs makes a mess and suddenly become MY three dogs...and maybe some other little, minor things (his smoking)...but yeah...we are pretty happy and blessed.

When we were getting married, I decided that I wanted to collect pieces of Department 56 Christmas Villages. I didn't want to just go nuts and randomly buy different houses and buildings and stores and restaurants. I mean, have you SEEN the prices on these little houses? I decided to pick and choose carefully. I decided that each year I would buy a building that would represent something special in our life. Since we were getting married, the first piece that I bought was a Church and it came with a little Bride and Groom.

The second year, it was a Toy Store to represent when we met again and knew that "this is it". Then, I started popping out a couple of rugrats...literally like one after the other...like poptarts out of a toaster. I believe the politically incorrect term for my kids is "Irish Twins". And my little Christmas Village became the worlds smallest town ever. Just a Church and Toy Store. The town's motto was "We Play and Pray." Population: 2. The Bride and Groom.

A couple of years later, after we had gotten two of our three pups, I spotted a Department 56 piece that was a Pet Store with puppies in the window and gushed about how perfect it would be to buy it and continue my dream of having the Perfect Movie Junkie Christmas Village. So, we bought the tiny Pet Store and my little town grew ever so slightly.

And for the longest time Mr. and Mrs. Bride and Groom had just those buildings: Church, a Pet Store, and a Toy Store. Not much of a town, but still...it was MY town. I hinted over the years that I wanted to add to it, but Mr. Movie Junkie always had an excuse: we're too broke. I'm out of work. They are so ridiculously expensive. Blah, blah, blah. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Truth be told, I think the Pet Store one just made him all grumpy because he didn't want to be reminded of the fateful day we adopted the Yappy Papillion and the Dumb as Wood Mini Schnauzer. Two dogs that he claims he didn't want. I think he resented the village.

But this year was different. This year, he surprised me. He moved on. Perhaps my addition of an overgrown Doberman mix puppy made him realize that to love me...is to love my pups.

And he bought me a new little, fragile building. Perhaps the most special one of all. A Movie Theater. It's perfect!!! He remembered. He remembered that I wanted to continue to collect them. He remembered that I wanted only buildings that would have meaning to me. To us. He remembered where we first met and flirted innocently (in spite of his ex-girlfriend) and had ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE that we would one day be the Bride and Groom in our own little private town that included our two beautiful kids, three crazy dogs, one tiny cat, two bad idea turtles, and two never dying fish.

BUT...that's not all!! Mr. Movie Junkie went above and beyond this year. Which is nice considering that we had stopped buying Christmas Gifts to each other as a sacrifice to be able to afford other things like furniture, home remodeling, vacations, eating out, etc. etc. etc. It had been awhile since we bought gifts for each other at Christmas.

Mr. Movie Junkie thought above, beyond, and out of the box. And I supposed they all have something to do with movies...or at least some form of storytelling.

Another Holiday Collection I have growing is the Macy's Holiday Plush of the Year. My Mother In Law has been getting one for me every year for the past few years. It's a lovely tradition and I love them all!! But some are missing, so my dear Husband has bought me Garfield from a few years ago. Garfield the Cat...comic strip...made into a not so great movie...see the movie connection?

And I am a HUGE fan of Dexter and a bigger fan of John Lithgow as the Trinity Killer. So, I now have a Trinity Killer Bobblehead. Dude!! It's freakin' JOHN LITHGOW and he's a BOBBLEHEAD!!! It just doesn't get more awesomer than that!!!




Actually, it does. Because the best gift is my RENT gift. I'm a RENThead. Saw it on Broadway 3.5 times (don't ask about the .5). Saw Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal in September of 2007. Cried when it closed down. Watched the movie enough times that my kids know the lyrics to La Vie Boheme better than 7-8 year olds should. (Hey! It's not like they know what the term "Mucho Masturbation" means!!). And RENT Filmed Live on Broadway on DVD and watched that more times than I can count. You look at my top played songs on my iPod and you better believe just about all of them are from RENT.

Mr. Movie Junkie scoured the Internet to find me the perfect gift. He knew Diamonds, clothes, perfume, fur coats just wouldn't do. And aside from a RENT related gift, the only other most perfect gift for me would be a puppy and he wasn't making that mistake twice in the same year...for a second time. (Think about it.)

And he found it. I now actually own PROP from September 2007's production of RENT. I actually own the candle that Roger lights and the matches he lit it with in "Light My Candle". I own a piece of Mimi's lavender lace sleeve in that scene. And I have the cast's autograph. All of them. Including the original Mark and Roger.



Yeah. I know. I was speechless too.

He did good. He did real good.


Remember: No Day But Today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment