Saturday, May 22, 2010

Due Date



Today is May 22nd. This is a date that was drilled in my head for a long time. Eight years ago today, I sat with hands on my swollen belly and anxiety and excitement in my heart. It was the day that doctors had told me that our first child, our daughter would make our family grow. I know it was just an estimated date, but it was drilled into my mind, heart, and soul. It was the answer to a repetitive question..."When are you due?" "May 22nd".

I watched movies that were funny and about being pregnant that I could relate to. I loved Father of the Bride II and She's Having a Baby with Kevin Bacon is just classic. I also followed the episodes of Friends closely because Rachel and I were pregnant together. When she found out she was having a girl, I found out I was having a girl. When she looked down at her over sized belly and screamed "OUT! OUT! OUT!" I knew just how she was feeling.

With my due date approaching me fast and hearing everyone tell me "Now is the time to do things you want to do, do it NOW!! You will never get a chance AGAIN!! You will never sleep AGAIN!!!" I knew there was ONE thing I had to do. Star Wars: Episode II-Attack of the Clones was released on May 16th. Time was closing in. I only had a few precious days to see the movie before the baby came and I would never, ever, EVER get a chance to see a movie again!! (according to all the people who like to over dramatize motherhood.)

So, on May 20th, DH and I went to a late night showing of Episode II. DH, almost as big of a fan as I am, made me promise not to break my water or go into labor at anytime during the movie. I told him not to worry. Even if I had to give birth in the theater, I was NOT missing this epic event.

But...I did not go into labor during a Star Wars movie. And my due came and went with no baby.

Today, May 22nd takes on a different meaning. Sure, it took me years of correcting myself when I would mistakenly say my daughter's birthday is May 22nd, but I'm finally over that whole obsession with that date. Today is a special day for thousands of people across America who have been fighting for rights.

Today is the first Harvey Milk Day.

I never knew who Harvey Milk was until Sean Penn was nominated for his role in the movie Milk. When I heard a little about Harvey Milk, the number one thing that pressed was the fact that he was gay. I became very intrigued because Sean Penn is about the LEAST gay actor and I just could not imagine him portraying a gay man. I knew Sean Penn is a phenomenal actor, but I just did not think he could pull off being a gay man.

I was wrong. I do not see Sean Penn in that role at all. I only saw Harvey Milk. The whole movie blew me away. Not only was the acting by Sean Penn fantastic, but so was James Franco, Josh Brolin, Emile Hirsch, and even Lucas Grabeel (yes, the blond kid from High School Musical!). I learned so much about Harvey Milk from watching this movie. I learned about politics. I learned even more about Gay Rights and it's history and where they want to the future to go.

I strongly recommend this movie. It is a movie to enjoy from a movie goers seat. It is a movie to learn from.

And after much lobbying, today-on what would have been his 80th birthday-is the first of many Harvey Milk Day. This is a due date that has been long over due.

No comments:

Post a Comment