Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday's Three Line Reviews

PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES-
A classic 80's John Hughes movie that doesn't involve Molly Ringwald or High School angst. I feel in love with Steve Martin in this movie way back when, and I still fall in love with him every time I see this movie. John Candy is perfect as the awkward, overbearing stranger that tags along with Steve Martin for the ride.

SHORTS-
Cute little family movie that is along the same lines as Spy Kids and Sharkboy and Lavagirl. Watched it with my son and know that when my daughter discovers it, she will love it (since she is a HUGE fan of Sharkboy and Spy Kids). It's not great, but will keep the kids busy for an hour and half.

THE WEDDING DATE-
Corny and cheesy chick flick starring Debra Messing and Dermot Mulroney. Debra Messing does shine and I wish she would be offered more movie roles and Dermot Mulroney does what he does best...smolder. Light and mindless and completely and totally predictable.

A SERIOUS MAN-
A movie that is filled with great acting and fantastic characters as we witness a very simple and very Jewish man watch his life fall apart. It has touching moments and humorous moments, especially the short scene with Simon Helberg as the Junior Rabbi. As with other Cohen Brothers films, they grab me in but seem to disappoint me with the endings (or lack of).

THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE-
Considering that I could not get into the best selling book that this movie was based on, I really enjoyed the movie. It's a love story that involves time travel, yet it's very simple and sweet. I do wish there were more scenes between Eric Bana and Ron Livingston for I found their friendship interesting and a bit funny.

THE HURT LOCKER-
2010's Oscar Winner for Best Picture. Not sure if it deserved it, yet, but it was really, really, really good. Very tense movie with one of the most disturbing scenes I had seen in a while.

THE LARAMIE PROJECT-
A movie that tells the story of the murder of Matthew Shepard and how his death affected his Smalltown, USA. It is mostly told in documentary-like style with many, many actors and actresses playing small roles. Great movie that made me cry and it's a shame that it had to be made.

RACING WITH THE MOON-
A very young Sean Penn and Nicholas Cage are two boys that are getting ready to leave for WWII. A great coming of age movie. I had overlooked this movie back in the 80's and was glad to finally have a chance to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment