Friday, May 21, 2010

Thursday's Three Line Reviews (one day late)

A day late with this. Trying to fight off a cold...or a really nasty case of allergies. It's hard to tell this time of year. Anyway, the one good thing about feeling icky and laying around is that you get a chance to watch some movies.

PASSENGERS-
Anne Hathaway is one of today's shining stars, but in this movie I found her a bit dull and overly dramatic as a grief counselor who's plane crash survivor patients are disappearing one by one. I thought it would be more suspenseful, but it seemed to drag on. The end was a great twist though.

MY SISTER'S KEEPER-
Having read the book, I enjoyed the book so much more and found myself disappointed in the changes in the movie. However, grab a box of tissues or two because this movie is one of the biggest tear jearkers I have ever seen. Most of the cast does really well, especially Joan Cusack and Jason Patric, but I thought Cameron Diaz was just too sunny and bright for a distraught mother fighting to keep her child alive.

BOLT-
A Disney/Pixar film that is cute and adorable. It's no Toy Story or Monsters Inc, but held my interest. It's one of my daughter's flavors of the month right now.

HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE-
What can I say except that I have a seven year old daughter? I actually thought the movie is enjoyable if you are not expecting much. Billy Ray is always easy on the eyes for the moms and I can't go through the "Hoe Down Throw Down" scene without tapping my toes.

THE CLAIM-
A period picture set in the olden days of building towns and railways through the mountains and making east meet west. Milla Jovovich is unrecognizable in this movie to the point where I thought the guide had it wrong saying she was one of the stars.
This is my kind of movie with the old time background in the cold, snowy mountains, and great costumes and set designs.

DOMESTIC DISTURBANCE-
John Travolta plays a dad bent on finding the truth about his son's new step dad. Holds your interest but then falls flat. Vince Vaughn should play more villain roles and Steve Buscemi is excellent as always.

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN-
Excellent special effects and totally action packed. The problem is that it is so action packed that all the scenes began to blend and then I began to zone out and then zone back in and then wondered what happened to the little guy, the twins, and Sam's hand. About 30 minutes too long.

LEGION-
Dennis Quaid is in this, so I shouldn't have to say more. However, he didn't flash that sexy grin of his once and I'm not even sure if that could have saved this movie. If you saw the trailers with the creepy old lady crawling on the walls and ceiling and the scary ice cream man who's arms and face became elongated, you saw the best of this movie.

KNOWING-
Nicholas Cage is a Dad who's son brings home a cryptic message from the school's time capsule and when he decodes it, he realizes it has predicted fatal events for 50years and there are three more to come. The storyline is pretty good, it's a little creepy, a bit intense and I really liked the ending. I just wish some one else other than Nicholas Cage was in it because I couldn't stop staring at his wonky hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment