Saturday, February 12, 2011

Kisses!!

With the Oscars coming up, the channels are tv are going crazy with playing Academy Award Winners of the past. And tonight, one of my absolute FAVORITE movies (and book) of all times is on. Gone With The Wind.

I announced it last night. That at 10 pm, mommy wants to be left alone with a small 100 calorie bag of popcorn, maybe some Fat-Free Chocolate Pudding, a blanket, my couch, and Scarlett O'Hara. My kids begged me if they could please stay up and watch it with me. They know it's one of my favorites and they want to see it. It was this time last year when they discovered Titanic (another movie that makes it's rounds every award season), so I decided that yes. They will stay up late and join me on my couch with a blanket, some snacks, Scarlett and my daughter's newest American Girl Doll.

So, this got me thinking. How appropriate Gone With the Wind is for Valentine Weekend. After all, it has one of the greatest kisses in Movie history. Scarlett and Rhett Butler are one of the most recognizable couples of all times. And I began to think.....about great movie kisses. There are so many, but these are my favorites for different reasons.

Of course, Scarlett and Rhett:



And I have to put Titanic up there too:


But what about another movie of Leonardo DiCaprio? William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet? He kisses Claire Danes underwater, both still dressed in their Masquerade costumes:

Huh. Funny how both Leo movies involve water in some way or form.

Dirty Dancing is another classic. I love the scene with them having fun and being themselves in the dance studio. She's lip-syncing along and crawling towards him. I dare you to look at the picture without starting to hum "Baby.....ooooh Baby.....My Sweet Baby.....You're the one."



Lady and The Tramp is iconic. Everyone knows the spaghetti scene. And c'mon. Who hasn't tried to re-enact it? It may be a cartoon. And it may be dogs, but it is possibly one of the most romantic dining scenes ever.



Another cartoon where they "kiss"? Wall-E. They are not human. They have no lips. But they certainly know how to let the sparks fly between them. Wall-E and Eve have to be the cutest romantic couple ever.



The most unique kiss? It's a scene that went down in movie history. This is no Oscar Winning, most romantic couple of all times, but you gotta give it to Spidey for taking kissing to a whole other level.



The one kiss that I always thought packed so much passion and feeling and it tore at my heart was the kiss from Brokeback Mountain, where they see each other for the first time in a while. Their love is such a secret, yet when they see each other all their feelings come out in that kiss. Very painful scene, all that passion.



The funniest kiss? E.T. When a drunken Elliott steps on the kid to kiss his pretty classmate who is taller than him. And frogs are running (hopping?) amuck in the classroom. Classic scene. I can still hear the audience howling with laughter.


Empire Strikes Back has one of the greatest moments. Noooooo....not the scene with Luke and Leia (really, George?? Did you even KNOW they were brother and sister???!!!???). But with Han Solo. I remember seeing that and wishing it was me instead of Leia. Okay...okay, I still wish it was me.



Lots of great movie kisses take place in the rain. But what about the snow? There's something very romantic about a kiss in the lightly falling snow. Like Roger and Mimi in RENT.



And how about the love triangles? I can't figure out which was better...the kiss between Elizabeth and Captain Jack Sparrow:


or Elizabeth and Will Turner:
I keep going back and forth between these two.

And finally.....the kiss of all kisses. Or what is in my opinion, the kiss of all kisses. This is the scene that gets my heart beating every time.

A man is just crowned king. The people, dwarfs, elves, hobbits, bow to him. And then....he sees her. His beloved among the crowd. She is alive and healthy. She approaches him and slightly bows to him, but he takes her face in his hands and:


It gets me EVERY TIME!!! Aragorn and Arwen's kiss at the end of LOTR:Return of the King. It is just soooooo.....I don't even have words. Passionate? Romantic? Touching? Loving?
It's just so right is what it is. It makes you weak in the knees. It's classic and elegant. The filming and the costumes...everything makes this kiss so right.


Feel free to leave your favorite movie kiss or movie couple or romantic movie in the comments. Your recommendations could be a big help for someone who is looking for a romantic movie to watch this weekend.

Happy Valentine's!!! Kisses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment