Monday, February 28, 2011

A Letter to the Academy

Dear Academy,

I love The Oscars. I really, really do. I've been watching it since I was a child. I do believe I've only missed it once, when my Bridal Shower was scheduled the same day. And believe me, I was a wee, tad bit annoyed that my Mother did not have the hindsight to NOT schedule my Bridal Shower on the same day as the Academy Awards.

I am getting older, The Oscars seem to be getting longer, and I am bleary eyed and tired this morning. You would think I partied like Mel Gibson last night, the way I feel today. Bottom line is, you need to put some more thought into when The Oscars should be.

I start my Oscar celebration at 6 pm, watching the red carpet and I don't dare go to sleep until the last speech has been said, the last statuette has been given out, and the host(s) say Thank You and Good Night. I enjoy every minute, but the next morning as I rise at 6 am, I'm exhausted. And I am sure thousands of other Oscar Fans are too.

So, here is what I propose to you, the Almighty Academy: Have The Oscars on the Sunday Night before President's Day. It's a great solution. A great compromise. You still get the Sunday Night ratings and most of America has off the next day, so they can sleep in.

This is also perfect for the Oscar watching audience of tomorrow. My kids so desperately wanted to stay awake to see who won or who was presenting. They may be just kids, but I started watching as a child and my kids do understand all the work that goes into a movie. My kids appreciate all the work that goes into a movie. They cheered this morning when I announced that Alice in Wonderland won some awards. That Toy Story 3 won Best Animated Feature Film and Song. They get it. I would have loved for them to watch the show from beginning to end.

So, please consider making the Sunday Night before President's Day Oscar Night. Fans across the nation would be so appreciative.

Sincerely,
The Movie Junkie

P.S. My eight year old daughter would also like to suggest that Johnny Depp be nominated every year, regardless of whether or not he has made a movie. "He's just that good", according to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment