Saturday, April 17, 2010

Everybody Mambo!!

Today started off as a miserable day. It was just one of the mornings where you either want to crawl back into bed and tell the world to go to hell or get out of the house and hope the fresh air will clear your head. I chose the latter and it turned into a miserable afternoon involving a long, uphill walk to a kiddie baseball game where it threatened to rain the whole time. And then my son and I had to wait for DH to pick us up. The closest spot to the parking lot was right on the water. It was cold, grey, windy, and an occasional drizzle. We had to wait for over 20 minutes. And there were no bathrooms. And it was cold. And damp. Did I mention it was COLD???
But, things are about to look up. The day WILL get better. My kids are now safe and sound and warm at Nana's house where they will spend the night. I am off to take a hot shower soon, to get rid of the chill that has nestled deep down in my bones and to get ready. We have a party tonight. An Adults Only Party.


The best part? It's right next door to my house. No driving. We can party it up like it's 1999...or like we are 19 years old, then stumble down my neighbors stoop, cross the lawn, and stumble into our house.

The second best part? The theme. I loved themed parties. I am KNOWN for themed parties for my kids and I'm getting a kick out of a themed party for grown ups. The theme is "CUBAN".

I don't know much about the Cuban culture. I know Ricky Ricardo was Cuban. I know there was a big hoopla over a little boy years ago who survived to American shores trying to escape from Cuba. I know of Cuban Sandwiches- they are so delish and awesome with pork, ham, cheese, mustard, pickles all pressed together. I'm pretty sure the Mojito comes from Cuba. And I know of a little movie called The Mambo Kings that has a Cuban theme running throughout the movie.

The Mambo Kings is a really good movie that was released in 1992 and starred Armand Assante and Antonio Banderas (in his first English speaking role) as the Castillo Brothers who leave Cuba to try and make it big in the Latin music world. Armand Assante is the older brother who is the one behind their big musical dreams. Antonio Banderas is pining for an old love back in Cuba.

The music is great. Especially "Beautiful Maria of My Soul", which is somewhat haunting. There are scenes that involve the brothers with the original star from Cuba, Desi Arnaz. These scenes are great and if you are a fan of I Love Lucy, which I am, you will enjoy it. Desi Arnaz is played by his son, Desi Arnaz Jr. When the Castillo Brothers land roles on I Love Lucy, they cut back and forth between Desi Jr., the Castillo Brothers, and the queen of comedy herself- Lucille Ball.

This movie is a great tribute to the 50's, Lucy and Desi, Latin music, and Cuban American families and friends everywhere. This is one of those movies that not everyone has heard of, but worth checking out. Whether you like Latin music or retro costumes and settings, you might enjoy this little movie.

I know, I know....I was inspired to write about a movie that was Cuban based and you are thinking I should have written about Scarface. I'm sure that was one of the most famous Cuban characters of all times. But, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. See...this Movie Junkie has never seen Scarface. Oops. Don't worry. It's on my list of "Classic Movies Every Movie Junkie Should See". I will get to it one day.


I'm off. Gotta start to get ready for a brighter (and warmer!) day! I'm off to drink some Mojitos and eat some Cuban Sandwiches and I'm off to Mambo the night away!!


No comments:

Post a Comment