Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thursday's 3 Line Reviews

I've decided that on Thursdays I will review movies that I have watched over the last week or so. I will keep the reviews short with only three lines. If you are looking for something to rent over the weekend, this is the place to get ideas of what to see and what to avoid.

MEMENTO-
Brilliantly bizarre. A mystery told backwards and the twist is at the beginning of the story. Always great to see Joe Pantoliano in a good role.

PRECIOUS: BASED ON THE NOVEL PUSH BY SAPPHIRE-
A very simple yet disturbing film. Mo'Nique's portrayal of an abusive mother makes Dunaway's Mommie Dearest look like Mother Theresa. Gabourey Sidibe did a good job but I don't think it was Oscar worthy.

NELL-
A great idea on paper but poorly executed. Jodie Foster overdoes her portrayal of a feral woman and becomes annoying rather than intriguing. I realized I sound just like Nell when I baby talk to my dogs.

X-MEN ORIGINS:WOLVERINE-
The worse of the X-men movies. Thought the opening credits with Wolverine fighting different wars throughout history would have made a more interesting story. Needed more Ryan Reynolds.

DUNE-
Don't think I've ever watched half a movie until this one. The multiple voice overs are just ridiculous. Life's too short to waste on bad movies.

ANGELS AND DEMONS-
Enjoyed it. Love the whole cryptic clues in age old arts and the whole behind the scenes of the Vatican. Glad I didn't spend 10 bucks to see it though.

PEARL HARBOR-
Like Titanic, it is two stories in one and makes for a long viewing. Fabulous FX with the bombing of Pearl Harbor and really brings forth just how horrible it was. The corny lines ruin it though.

WRISTCUTTERS:A LOVE STORY-
Weird, whimsical, gray, and different. Very watchable. Also very forgettable.

TWILIGHT SAGA:NEW MOON-
Love the books, but thought the movie a bit slow and dragged out with bad acting. I'm Team Carlise. Does that say that I'm too old for these movies?

DIM SUM FUNERAL-
Finally a movie where we can learn about the traditions of Chinese culture, or so I thought. Talia Shire knew more about the traditional Chinese funeral than the Chinese characters. Very disappointing and the "twist" at the end just kinda pissed me off.

FRAILTY-
Simple low budget movie. Enjoyed Bill Paxton as a single dad of two young boys who is killing people because God said so. Has Dad completely lost it...or is he telling the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment